DeBusk Enrichment Center for Academically Talented Scholars (DECATS) has 3 campuses in the Houston area. Each summer up to 800 selected third through sixth grade Catholic and other private and public elementary school scholars within the archdiocese of Galveston Houston area enrolled in this challenging summer enrichment program.
This three-week program provides qualitatively different learning experiences to students who have been identified as capable of exceptional performance. The Scope of Activities includes theories of Gifted Education, Gifted Formation, Leadership, Etiquette, Organization and Reflection, Wellness, Values and Morals, Art, Computer Science, Audio Visual Media, Creative Thinking and Problem Solving, Science, Nature, Religion, Drama, History, Mathematics and Physical Education.
The scholars served in this program will:
- be challenged to recognize their giftedness as a responsibility to lead and to serve.
- be challenged by activities which enable them to operate cognitively and affectively at complex levels of thought and feeling.
- be challenged through group and individual work, emphasizing process and product.
- be challenged by discussion among intellectual peers.
- be challenged by the opportunity to see inter-relationships in all bodies of knowledge.
- be challenged by special courses in their individual areas of strength and interest, accelerating the pace and increasing the depth of the curriculum.
- be challenged by greater exposure to new areas of learning within and without the formal school structure.
- be taught the skills of critical and creative thinking, research, problem solving, coping with exceptionality, decision making, public speaking, etiquette, organization, discipline, responsibility, wellness, values, morals and leadership.
- be challenged by the opportunity of applying abilities to real problems in the real world.
Please visit DECATS Houston at their web page, Facebook page, on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Youtube.